RAINN’s Top Five Ways to Stay Safe Online
(January 7, 2014) — RAINN has released a series of infographics highlighting safety tips for those who have experienced sexual assault. January is National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM), and RAINN is proud to be a data privacy champion. To learn more about this effort to educate the public about online safety measures, visit the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA).
Throughout the month, RAINN will utilize social media to share small, manageable steps survivors can take to ensure their safety online. To share the infographics and help educate others about online safety, visit the Newsroom.
1. Protect your identity. Avoid sharing personally-identifying information about yourself, loved ones or perpetrators through social networks and online forums. Doing so can lead to unwanted attention and harassment about a sexual assault.
2. Report inappropriate images. If you receive or view inappropriate or sexual images through text message or online, report it to police or to www.cybertipline.com. This can help law enforcement stop a perpetrator in action.
3. Use a secure Internet connection. When seeking help online related to a sexual assault, make sure you are using a secure and reputable website, like RAINN’s Online Hotline: www.online.rainn.org.
4. Be mindful of privacy settings. Check privacy settings, such as location services and contact information, when using social media. Be aware that making data publicly available means anyone can see it.
5. Talk with your kids. Be familiar with online privacy settings and help your child set up social media accounts. Laying the groundwork for open communication can encourage your child to share about any unusual online conversations or activities down the road.
Share these infographics via social media through from our Facebook photo album.
If you or someone you know has been affected by sexual violence, it's not your fault. You are not alone. Talk to someone who understands what you’re going through. Help is just a call or click away via RAINN's National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800.656.HOPE and online.rainn.org.