Policy Law Clerk (Unpaid)
RAINN's policy department is accepting applications for an unpaid Policy Law Clerk to work during the summer 2013 term. Our policy department advocates for an improved criminal justice system in order to ensure that more rapists are incarcerated, and that victims of sexual violence obtain the justice they deserve. We monitor policies, legislation and regulations which impact victims of sexual violence. In addition, we work with Congress to promote laws dedicated to helping survivors of sexual assault. The Policy Law Clerk can be a full or part time position, with the ideal number of hours being between 20-30. Ideally, the position begins in May and will conclude in August.
Policy Law Clerk
The Policy Law Clerk will provide essential legal research and fact gathering concerning a wide range of sexual violence issues. The Law Clerk will also be expected to draft materials as needed, including memoranda and one-page summaries, and may be asked to review and analyze legislation, regulations, and other policy documents.
- Support and assist staff in legal and legislative research, with a specific focus on states' sexual violence laws
- Provide the policy department with general legal research and relevant facts regarding sexual assault issues
- Help drafting memorandum, policy statements, and letters to government officials as needed
- Assist with administrative and data input tasks as needed
- Assist in updating and establishing tools for disseminating policy resources, including database materials.
- Current law student
- Strong writing, research, analytical and organizational skills
- Strong interest in policy work, with preference for a focus on the issue of sexual violence
- Comfortable with legal research tools, including LexisNexis and Westlaw
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs, especially Excel and Word
- Strong interpersonal skills, and a team-player attitude
How to apply:
Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Policy Law Clerk Application” in the subject line.
Position will remain posted until filled. No phone calls, please.