Vice President of Public Policy
The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) is America’s largest anti-sexual assault organization. RAINN operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline, which has helped more than 1.7 million people since 1994, and the award-winning National Sexual Assault Online Hotline, the web’s first secure web-based hotline service. Through a contract with the Department of Defense, RAINN also operates DoD Safe Helpline, which provides one-on-one support to members of the military community who have been affected by sexual assault.
In addition to the hotlines, RAINN operates education and outreach programs to prevent sexual assault, encourage victims to report their attack to police, and make victims aware of available services. We work extensively with the media and with the entertainment industry to provide vital information about sexual assault to the public. RAINN also leads national efforts to improve sexual assault laws and the criminal justice process.
RAINN was selected as one of "America's 100 Best Charities" by Worth magazine.
RAINN’s ultimate goal is to eradicate sexual violence. Central to this goal is the need to increase the percentage of attacks that are reported to law enforcement, the number of successful prosecutions, and the length of penalties, while ensuring that all victims receive the treatment they need. To accomplish this, we engage all potential allies — men and women, conservative and liberal — to further our goals.
The Vice President of Public Policy will head up RAINN’s research, policy development and advocacy efforts in support of these goals.
- Develop and prioritize policy agenda in collaboration with RAINN leaders.
- Analyze policy initiatives and research.
- Monitor Congressional and state legislative activities regarding issues related to sexual assault.
- Lobby Congress in furtherance of our legislative agenda.
- Establish and maintain relationships with members of Congress, Congressional staff and state and federal government regulators.
- Conduct research and write policy papers for the use of policymakers, media and the public.
- Draft Congressional testimony and legislative proposals.
- Represent RAINN in meetings with and presentations to policymakers and others.
- Monitor policy-making court cases.
- Build and manage participation in coalitions of allied organizations and companies.
- Monitor policy priorities of allied groups and collaborate when appropriate.
- Collaborate with RAINN’s 1100 local affiliates.
- Develop and manage grassroots advocacy program.
- Other duties as required.
- Min. six years legislative or similar experience. Capitol Hill experience is strongly preferred.
- Law degree not required but strongly preferred (minimum of Bachelor’s degree required).
- Proven success in policy development and advocacy.
- Exceptional writing and verbal skills and high attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and a strong team ethic.
- Passion for RAINN’s mission to prevent sexual assault, punish its perpetrators and help its victims.
Salary based on experience of applicant. Benefits include health insurance and collegial office environment. RAINN is an equal opportunity employer.
Email resume and salary history (with subject line: VP Public Policy) to email@example.com.